Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Why Not Me

Do you ever listen to speakers on the radio or TV and notice that they always have these miraculous stories about how God intervened in their life? Or how they were talking with some stranger and the outcome of the conversation made it clear that God was working in an amazing way? I was thinking about that the other day, and I thought, "Why not me? How come I never seem to have any amazing stories like that to share?"

My first thought was "well, I must not be one of the "chosen" ones of God." You know, those who have been blessed with all sorts of spiritual gifts...no wonder they have all these great stories, the spirit is constantly moving through all those gifts. But then, I thought again. That's it! The Spirit is constantly moving! Not because they have all these gifts, but rather because they have faith that the spirit will move and because of that, they have courage to always speak out. God's work is evident on a regular basis in so many of their circumstances because they merely believe. Then they step back and say, "God do your work, I'm just coming along for the ride. Show me what you want me to do. I'll be your assistant, when you want my help."

Too many people walk through life with the attitude that they are in control. Then when something bad happens, they are constantly doing the work and asking God to be the assistant. Remember those bumper stickers that say, "God is my co-pilot?" Why not make Him the pilot? My challenge to you this week is to try to let God do the work and you be the assistant. After a week, let me know if you have any new good stories where you saw God moving, and please post them to the blog! Thank you.

No comments: